Thursday, May 19, 2011

Minimalist Ukiyo-e and Tim Burton Art and their influence on my artwork

Much of the influence on my sketchbooks of Mono in particular is highly influenced by ancient Japanese pen and ink and painted prints, or "Ukiyo-e". In the same way John K takes influence from Walt Disney and Hanna-Barbera, I take influence (in terms of rhythm and composition of my poses) fom Ukiyo-e, or Japanese Prints. I'm also highly influenced in my sketchbooks by the "sloppy" artwork of Tim Burton as well. I strongly believe one can do good simple drawings ad sketches, not just complex and detailed ones. Poetic symbolism and simplicity in art can be it's own beauty (see Tim Burton's sketchbooks and Japanese Prints).

You see, since I'm drawing existential action cartoons, despite the fact that he draws comedy, and I draw drama and action, I can still manage to really appreciate what John K. has done for animation in general. He was a pioneer of he "exagerate the SHIT out of that pose!" school of TV animation, very much in the vain of Tex Avery. This CAN apply to action cartoons as well, if you ask me...

Here's an example of an exagerated pose I've made, a rough sketch. I like this one in particular.


-J.M.-