Friday, May 20, 2011

Directionless Style: Variety is an Anvil

I'm going to be honest, I've sampled (i.e. experimented in) a LOT of different art and writing styles during my career. It's been hard to pick 1 style and stick to it. Like P'Diddy with a sound byte, or Bill Gates with access to Steve Job's designs, I've sampled at least 15-20 different art and writing styles, from Eugene Delacroix, Edward Gorey, Frank Miller, Todd McFarlane, and Robert E. Howard, to Ken Wilber, John Woo, Quentin Tarantino, Stephen King, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, The Matrix, Chanbara, and Wuxia, to Katsuhiro Otomo, Hiroaki Samura, Corey Senderov Jackson, and Yasuhiro Nightow.

When I sat down to make Mono Comics or "Parallax", I'd experimented with so many art and writing styles, I wasn't sure which style to go with, there were so many different looks and archetypes to choose from. In a way, I'm still choosing. Whatever style I end up using to tell my stories is going to need to have a natural vibe to it, even if that means leaving a lot of white space on my pages in the beginning.

-J.M.-