Sunday, October 2, 2011

When the Felonies Became “Funny”. Modern TV Comedy and Why it is Morally WRONG.

Why is every comedic animation protagonist on late night animated sitcoms a first degree criminal or offending felon at some point? When did it become okay to normalize first degree offenses, felonies, and crimes by making light of it by making all of your show’s so-called “heroes” criminals? Therefore comedy protagonists are not heroes anymore. They’re felons. Family Guy, American Dad, Squidbillies, King of the Hill. South Park. Superjail. You name it. If it’s on the early hours of the evening, and on cable, it has a part time felon as a protagonist. This desensitization to moral evil and crime in generally has me more than a little worried. When did America’s rap albums become its animated sitcoms? On a moral level, I find this kind of lazy and hypocritical writing deplorable, and hope this trend doesn’t continue indefinitely.

Sincerely,

Some guy who hates watching comedy shows written about nothing but felony-commiting losers. It's not that I'm oblivious to crime and justice. Far from it. I watch CNN like everybody else. But when you make light of the act of commiting a felony on a nightly basis, in so much of your programming, it becomes like rap music was in the 90s where it can attract a crowd that deep down you know you don't want to attract, and it blurs the line between realism of criminal behavoir and what is essentially promoting such nefarious conduct. I guess I'm just trying to make TV producers and writers, etc., more aware of just how much TV still influences the public to this day. Crime is not okay. I myself have never been to jail or commited a crime, and I can't say I feel like I can relate to TV characters and shows that show people who do. I can't relate to that. If anything, I find it more disturbing than entertaining.