Monday, September 12, 2011

Not Even I Could Accept The Fact That I Actually Do Have Talent At Art

I remember I used to lack confidence, and lots of it. Even when I drew an amazing drawing, looking back at my journals I had trouble accepting my own ingenuity as a reality.

For instance, when I drew this in an art class when I was 17 years old:


I thought it was a fluke, and proceeded to write the following about it in my private journal:

"It looks beautiful, like it wasn't drawn by me (knowing what I'm capable of) but instead was drawn by a professional and accomplished artist who had superior draftsmanship skills."

That's the thing about ingenuity. When it first manifests in your art and writing. If you do a hyperliterate or hyper realistic or hyper detailed page or form, when it first manifests itself right under your nose, if you're anything like me, your humility won't even allow you to feel like you can take responsbility for it. You don't recognize yourself in it anymore. "No, this can't be me. This must have magically been put on my page by an artist far more ingenious, far more work-intensive, and far more talented and visionary than I could ever hope to be. No way I could have produced such a masterwork. People have to actually believe in your abilities for that to happen, right?". WRONG! If you have talent, you have talent. Period. Accept it or retire and be grateful that God gave you as much talent as He did to begin with. There's a certain mind-boggling disassociation that goes with creating high level art and writing. You don't want to accept the fact that you're capable of rivaling the best of them, which you are of course. Great talent is often accompanied by great self-doubt and years of post masterwork self-skepticism.