Saturday, August 13, 2011

Drawing: Mental, or Physical?

I did a web search on this topic, and didn't find much. Drawing requires both mental and physical energy, but it actually doesn't seem like either aspect of drawing is the universal majority for all artists. Some artists eat healthy. Some don't. Some artists are well groomed, some aren't. Some artists are attractive, others not so much. The thing is, drawing IS part mental and psychological, and part energetic and physical.

The only real reason I bring this up is that in the past I've found heavy amounts of drawing to be physically fatiguing, draining, and exhausting. When I was very young and had tons of energy to burn and was more in shape, I was less drained by my drawing process. But as I got older, and fatter, I found drawing was less easy with the more out of shape I got, to the point of me barely practicing at all, purely because of how much energy it drained from me whenever I attempted it. It was a stressful period of my life, and I did a LOT of stress eating, and got very little exercise.

Though it varies with the artist, drawing does take a certain amount of physical energy, particularly detail-heavy drawing where the whole page is filled up or drawn on an epic size and scale.

-J.M.-