Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lighting Design

Aside from returning to sketching, I've been exploring a hobby or two.

Current hobby of the moment:
  • Lighting Concept Design; Lighting Concept Art
I was looking at my "The Art of Star Wars: The Clone Wars Animated Series" book, and I LOVE that book! I love lighting concepts that explore the lighting element of concept art.

The type of lighting concepts I design are often in the Notan / Neo-Noir Style, but Lighting Concepts nonetheless. The reason I love the Star Wars production art book is it made me realize I'm not alone in my design pursuits.

If I had to describe my lighting concept (art) style, in one word, I'd say it's both "Japanese" and "American" and East Meets West. Notan is a very Japanese thing. Neo-Noir is a very revivalist American thing. But I like how there's a rich heritage of design in both Asia/Japan AND Europe/America. Black and White artwork reflects this combination quite perfectly in my opinion, and on paper.