Friday, July 22, 2011

It's okay artist-type person. Just leave Japanimation to the Japanese

Technically what I draw isn't really anime. I used to think it was, because like the Japanese, I make the effort to make my concept designs cinematic, and I come from an engineering standpoint.

I don't really see my artwork as anime anymore. I've never taken things like big eyes or squeaky voices, or chibi, for that matter, seriously. Honestly, I'd rather draw from Dr. Suess than any of that cliche stereotypical anime crap. Why would I draw from that when there are things like Akira and Ghost in the Shell out there?

It's really closer to science-fantasy and neo-goth than Japanese. The Japanese don't really do gothic for the most part, black trenchcoats and all that. They kind of turn their noses up at the bleak, dark, and macabre, from what I've seen online mostly. They shy away from portraying dark and gothic things, with rare exceptions. Oh well, more for me.