Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ahhh. My Great Collection of Old, Incredibly Weird Comics (I’ve own 100s of these! I'm addicted to collecting cool and weird comics/animation things)

HECTIC PLANET
ISSUE 6

This is an image of one of my favorite classic indie comics. Take Hectic Planet for example: It’s probably the first Evan Dorkin comic book I ever bought
You see, there’s a story behind this. Before I was an unhealthy internet recluse. I was a slacker comic shop denizen. I used to love going to the comic book shop, back when there actually were some around where I lived. I would go to my local comics shop, on average, at least one or two times a week, when I wasn’t going to school, and I’d just accumulate a huge collections of very cool, very weird, very obscure comic books. I love comic books. Now there aren’t any so I mostly just hit up Amazon and the internet for my tradepaperback and indie webcomics fix. Plus at one point I sort of forgot about comics, or at least, collecting and buying them anyway. I had every cool indie comic in the early 2000s and 90s from Johnny the Homicidal Maniac to Spawn to Bone to Blue Monday. I’ve always had this comics philosophy that the best comics are the ones you haven’t heard of. And I still believe that. And recently I dug up my classic collection of comic collection boxes that had been sitting there collecting dust for a decade. Brings back so many positive memories. I learned everything I know about production, costume, and character design from that comic book collection.
-JM

[alternative name to this post: "And then there's all the hundreds of obscure and awesome weird comics that DIDN'T make it onto Wikipedia"]